[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 21 22:27:24 UTC 2007

On 11/21/2007 04:40 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
>
>> How do you connect a TV listings source to an input on your capture
>> card (think Input Connections)?  Personally, I connected an RG-6
>> cable from my antenna to the capture card.  This cable happens to be
>> the source of the video my capture cards capture.
>>
> [...]
>
> Mike, you are just as mistaken here as you were on the topic of "Set
> Priorities"
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/293626#293626>).
> And speaking of MythTV terminology that badly needs changing, I urge
> developers to read said thread.
>
> I vote "TV listings sources," but I also agree with Justin Hornsby
> that there shouldn't be a wait for a formal vote of some kind; there's
> clearly a consensus and I hope some developer acts on it.

So you're saying that the all-encompassing terminology, "Groups of
channels that are available through a particular video source using a
particular capture card input with a particular frequency table and/or
channel change command," is a subset of "TV listings sources"--which
refers only to one of the 2 things that are configured on the page (the
other being the frequency table)?  Sounds to me like everyone except me
is making the "mistake I made" in that other thread.

Besides, I still think that if someone wants a "Recording Rules" page,
they should design a new screen that's properly configured to display
all the relevant information for one--rather than rename the "Recording
Priorities" page, which has information relevant to "Recording
Priorities" (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/293806#293806 ).  In
other words, I'm not conceding to being wrong in that thread.

Mike