[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Nov 21 17:45:51 UTC 2007

DISAFAN wrote:
> I think you should simplify it to "Data Sources" It is only a one word
> change, and is easy to interpret.
>
>>> So, I'm proposing that 'Video Sources' are renamed 'TV Guide data
>>> sources' or something similar.

The source of the confusion in this is that what each 'Video Source'
screen describes is not only *where* we get tv listings data, but *also*
indirectly defines the channel grouping contained in a 'Lineup'. All of
the Data comes from the same place, but parsed into groups, one for each
channel grouping.

It's a matter of semantics, but I think that since all of the Data comes
from the same source, the operative difference is what the groups are.

Admittedly it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing...(Hah, just typed
'chicken and effthing'! How freudian is that slop!)

But the noob really looking for an understandable distinction for the
different things he must define on this page. Would help if there were
some 'help' prompts too...

Geoff