[mythtv] revised greedy high motion deinterlacer + yadif

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Tue Nov 27 01:16:48 UTC 2007

Markus Schulz wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 25. November 2007 schrieb Markus Schulz:
>> new version:
>> http://www.tastatur-junkie.de/greedyh_and_yadif_svn14949.diff.gz
>
> small fix for trashed lines at top/below.
> http://www.tastatur-junkie.de/yadif_allocfix.diff

Yadif looks slightly better than Greedyh to my eye.  See the following
two cropped frames from a zoomed-in standard-def program:
http://www.parkercat.org/doug/greedyh.jpg
http://www.parkercat.org/doug/yadif.jpg
(note: not from exactly the same frame)

Yadif has done a better job of smoothing the on-screen text and other
details.  I have not done a similar comparison of high-motion scenes.

The one frame of video delay with respect to audio is not objectionable
to me (with an NTSC, thus 30/60 Hz program).  But it seems to me that
the existing audio sync adjustment framework could be used to do it
right.  See libs/libmythtv/tv_play.cpp , TV::ChangeAudioSync .

Yadif does seem to consume maybe 1.1-1.2x the CPU of Greedyh on my
system, and so is even more unsuitable for HD resolutions.

-Doug