[mythtv] HAL and myth was "thoughts about the "mythtv sucks" comments..." was "video sources"

Don Smith dcsmith at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:51:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 15:20 -0800, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 3:08 PM, Don Smith <dcsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well if it's over a crossover cable it could be probed. But granted
> > hdhomerun would be difficult. Does that mean that using hal should be
> > off the table alltogether?
>
> As others have requested, top posting is considered bad form in this
> mailing list ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette#Bottom_post
> ).
>
> Who said HAL was off the table? People pointing out issues with it to
> say it's not as simple to just drop in and replace that screen doesn't
> mean it's off the table, just that it's more complicated then you
> seemed to think.
>
> Really, if myth sucks, stop using it. Bitching about it on the mailing
> lists won't do anything at all other then piss others off. A lot of us
> like or love it. Adding negativity to the community doesn't help
> anyone.
>
> ~Rob

Sorry for the top posting, as a rule I prefer it, so I usually do it by
default. did not realize it was this list's etiquette.

As for loving myth, I certainly do, and use it exclusively for all my
media needs. The title was started by someone else and rather than
starting a new one I just replied.
I don't mean to add any negativity to the list, on the contrary I'd like
to know why HAL isn't a drop in replacement, and the homerun is one
thing I hadn't thought of. I'd like to hear other reasons as well so I
can understand the issue better.
One of the reasons I asked the question is that I like to recommend myth
to alot of my friends, but in the current state, I'd be the one setting
it up.