[mythtv] HAL and myth was "thoughts about the "mythtv sucks" comments... " was "video sources"

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 21:43:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 1:26 PM, hendrixski <hendrixski at storsint.com> wrote:

> > The problem isn't that MythTV has dozens of developers waiting for good ideas
> > to implement, it's the opposite, there are hundreds of ideas and tickets to
> > be worked on but only a handful of people willing or able to spend their time
> > working on it.
> If the problem is that there are not enough core developers in Mythtv,
> then what is being done to recruit and train new ones?
>
> I browsed the website, SVN, and wiki, and I see no documentation about
> "How to become a core dev".  Not even a list of who the core devs are
> nor tales of their heroic hacks.  Is everyone listed in the AUTHORS file
> still active? I would have assumed Mr. Dean was a core developer had it
> not been mentioned above.
>
> --
>  - Hendrixski

The way I understand it is that to "become a core dev" you basically
have to impress the stuffing out of the core devs enough that someone
gives you direct commit access.  If your patches require significant
rewrites, it's not likely.  If you consistently submit patches that
they can check in with little or no changes, it's more likely.  For a
list of who currently owns what (and thus, I assume, has commit
rights) you can go here: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/GoToDev

HTH
--
Doug