[mythtv] Trouble adding mouse support in MythVideo VideoManager

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Thu Oct 4 06:53:20 UTC 2007

Anthony D'Alberto wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am currently reworking the patches for mouse support in Myth.

Sorry for stripping the rest of your comments, however, this
is fairly important. I / someone more qualified should
really have commented earlier.

The way you are implementing mouse support is unlikely to be
applied to trunk. Apologies for being brutal, but here's the
reasoning:

Current SVN actually has mouse support, provided by MythUI,
in the form of "gestures" - which can recognise button
presses as well.

Have a look at:
mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythgesture.h|cpp
mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythmainwindow.cpp
  void MythMainWindow::mouseTimeout(void)
  bool MythMainWindow::eventFilter(QObject *, QEvent *e)
  void MythMainWindow::customEvent(QCustomEvent *ce)
mythtv/libs/libmythui/myththemedmenu.cpp
  bool MythThemedMenuPrivate::gestureEvent(MythUIType ...

Now, the problems.

Currently, the only thing using MythUI is the menu. Most of
the other widgets provided by libmyth have not been migrated.

Due to the way MythUI is implemented, mouse support comes
somewhat 'for free' when widgets and eventually screens are
migrated to using it. There is some work needed for some
screens as the implementation of gestureEvent in
MythThemedMenuPrivate shows.

There was an attempt during the google Summer of Code to do
part of the MythUI migration. This project did produce some
code, however, the results were not considered "close
enough" to where Isaac was wanting to go with it to use.

I have looked at what I would need to learn to help with
this migration but have not really got anywhere - There is
no way this is a one-person job (Of course, unless that
person is Isaac himself, given copious free time ;) and my
skills and time are very limited.

However, that being said, there are now a number of people
looking at the UI with various aims in mind - These people
are likely to have the skill sets required to actually
complete the UI migration, given enough impetus.

Cheers,

Allan.