[mythtv] Aspect Question (svn -- probably a RTFM)

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Mon Oct 8 18:17:47 UTC 2007

David Frascone píše v Po 08. 10. 2007 v 13:26 -0400:
> So, looks like I'm just out of luck, unless I want to write something myself.
>
> I'm thinking of a list of rules, and one extra zoom.
>
> Rules would be something like:  If the transmission is in 4:3, stretch to 16:9.
>
> Comments?

I myself would use "if the transmission is in 4:3 and the monitor aspect
ratio is 16:9, zoom it to 14:9 (half zoom)". Similar thing could be
useful for the opposite situation - 16:9 transmission on 4:3 monitor.
The idea is to zoom partially to remove at least half of the black bars
while retaining as much useful information as possible (and also keep
the aspect ratio intact to not get fat faces). Basically to narrow down
the gap between the aspect ratios.

And I can imagine more radical people that would zoom to full to get rid
of all black bars in such situation. While some others would zoom and
stretch since they like fat faces and hate any black bars..

IOW, making this generic enough to satisfy everyone would require quite
bit of flexibility in the rules...

Petr

P.S. I wrote a patch for the half zoom described above some time ago but
funnily it works only for live TV but not for recordings. I must have
placed it incorrectly in the source code or have used wrong source for
the aspect ratio... But I don't care since the 'W' key now cycles
quickly through the zoom modes so after mapping it to my remote I am a
very happy zoomer :-)