[mythtv] Channel scanner changing callsigns when set to "Minimal Updates"

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Oct 12 13:14:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 01:43 -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> Should the channel scanner to be updating callsigns in the channel
> table if the user runs with "Minimal Updates" set?
>
> I had to rescan the channels on my HDHomeRun tonight and after it was
> done, I noticed that all the callsigns that I had editted to match
> their counterparts from other sources were now reverted back to their
> original values.  I had to go back in and change them all again
> manually in order to make sure that my channel records will work
> properly.
>
> I see 3 places in siscan.cpp that update the channel info.
>
> The first in SIScan::UpdatePMTinDB() only updates the callsign if the
> one in the DB is empty.  That seems good.
>
> The second in SIScan::UpdateVCTinDB() always updates the callsign
> setting it to vct->ShortChannelName(i).  It seems like this should
> be checking 'renameChannels' before doing this and should default to
> using the callsign from the DB as UpdatePMTinDB() does.
>
> The third in SIScan::UpdateSDTinDB() always sets the callsign field
> to the service name.  This code also knows whether the channel exists
> in the table already, so it seems like it could preserve the callsign
> field as well by getting the value from the DB and using it instead
> of renaming if 'renameChannels' is not set.
>
> I don't know enough about the scanner, but I'm assuming the one
> messing up my channels is UpdateVCTinDB(), but it seems like both
> of the last two should be corrected.
>
> Is there any reason that the callsign should be updated during
> a rescan with "Minimal Updates" set?

There is no "renameChannel" option for the DVB scans, so
UpdateSDTinDB() is fine. The thought behind this was that
the PMT didn't have a proper callsign, but the VCT did, but
if you would like to change the UpdateVCTinDB() to honor
the renameChannel with respect to the callsign and not just
the channel number I think this would make sense.

-- Daniel