[mythtv] 6100 series STB boxes - CONCLUSION

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:49:24 UTC 2007

> On 10/19/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Interesting update - apparently this has to do with the CCI bit problem!
> > See below post from the mythtv-users digest and my response at the
> bottom

> >  5. The CCI bit on every channel that is blocked is set to 0x02, and on
> > every channel that works it's set to 0x00.

Jerry Rubinow replied:

So basically the problem is one of the two things I said to check when
> I replied on 10/3 when you first posted about this problem.  0x02 is
> copy-once protection, which means the STB will only pass out the
> signal in a form that is readable by devices that honor the copy-once
> restriction.  0x00 is copy-always, i.e. no protection.

Yes, however I thought it appropriate to post the results so others who may
be pursuing the same problem would have more solid evidence. If it had
turned out NOT to be one of those things I'm sure you would have been
equally interested.

CONCLUSION:

After an extensive discussion, Josh did run this problem up the command
chain at Insight Communications. The end result was that the did agree to
change the CCI bit on the two channels that are free to OTA back to 0x00
(Should happen at 2AM EST 10/22/07). However they are not going to turn it
off on the premium channels. Josh was careful in his wording, so I am sure
this is due to pressure from the content producers to keep some form of copy
protection in place.

So I have put the S-video output solution back into place for those channels
for now.

I am interested in whether or not mythTV can be configured to honor the CCI
0x02 bit in order to allow viewing of these programs in a recorded format,
but no transfer to DVD etc. perhaps compliance could be obtained by having
MythTV encrypt the video file in some format to prevent copying via
ssh/ftp/etc? Probably a fools errand, but who knows?

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Joe