[mythtv] Parental Controls and MythVideo

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 05:21:32 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/6/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 09/07/2007 12:29 AM, Doug Young wrote:
> > > I've already started looking at the code, and doing a bit of coding,
> >
> > Just how much coding are you willing to do?  Any interest in looking
> > through the archives/repo at the multi-user SoC project stuff and
> > starting to tackle it "the right way"?  (Not saying that a multi-PIN
> > approach wouldn't be accepted, just that there are /many/ more benefits
> > to a multi-user approach.)
> >
> > >  but was
> > > wondering (before I get too far) a: if this was already available
> > somehow,
> > > and I was just being dense and missing it,
> >
> > Don't know.  I don't use any parental controls (my parents live
> > 1000miles away, so it would take them a while to get here to change
> > things for me).
> >
> > >  and b: if I was the only one with
> > > this particular itch (ie, would this be useful to submit, or should I
> > just
> > > slink off in a corner and keep it to myself ;-)
> >
> > From posts I've seen on the lists, you're definitely not the only one
> > with the itch, and some are itching for more (like the multi-user
> > thing).
> >
> > Just a suggestion to consider.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >

> Multi-user would be -great-...and sounds like I'd have to wrap my brain
> around a -much- larger part of the codebase to do it right.  Eventually,
> yes, I could easily see myself going that far, as donating code back to a
> project I've used would be great.  I'd like to start off a -tad- less
> ambitious, as I've learned that biting off more than you can chew is a good
> way to sour yourself on a project and then have a large amount of incomplete
> code lying around that you never get back to.
>
> However, I will take a look to see what's been asked about, proposed,
> etc...see if I can make this something that might be compatible with a
> possible, eventual larger implementation.
> --
> Doug

I found the following threads...are there more out there (I searched for
"multi user")?
Multi-user option:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/21747?search_string=multi%20user;#21747
multi-user subsystem:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/207245?search_string=multi%20user;#207245
Multi-User MythWeb:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/69237?search_string=multi%20user;#69237

Everyone seems to have a differing opinion as to what should be "secured"
how...and I'm not sure I disagree with Chris' comment on the last one about
the possibility of this being beyond the scope of a PVR type
appliance...hmm...gonna sleep on it ;-)
--
Doug