[mythtv] is there any chance to include these changes ?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Sep 10 13:09:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 11:06 +0200, marek wrote:
> hi group
> last days in my free time I'm working on intergrating saa7134-empress
> (saa6752hs) with other v4l2 controls (tuner, inputs etc) but with MPEG
> output.- sth like ivtv-emulation (a big word...).
> for now it basically works from mythfrontend (with some little issues) -
> changing channels, volume etc, mpeg recording (saves lot of cpu power &
> diskspace) but only with these simple changes :

Sure, but can you create a ticket at http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/
so it doesn't fall through the cracks?

> first part checks volume .maximum & .minimum - I think this is better
> than using only fixed 0-65536 scale (saa7134 has .minimum=-15
> .maximum=15 .step=1) - after applying these volume will always be in range.

That's good.

> second part gives mythfrontend chance to work with this modified driver
> (device can't be opened 2 times simultaneously - duplicate handle works
> ok - no problems at all, tested some days)  - i think it doesn't harm
> ivtv or any other drivers.

Isn't being able to open the device more than once a V4L2 requirement?
i.e. can the driver be fixed instead of hacking MythTV for this?

> another aspect ratio mode - resize 16:9 to 4:3 vertically (removing
> upper and lower black bars from broadcast, only vertical zoom is
> applied, horizontally picture has the same size)
> usable on 16:9 analog tv working in 4:3 mode

That sounds similar to 16:9 Stretch mode, i.e. it's a distorting
zoom. This may be accepted, but, as is, this patch won't apply
to mythtv-vid because zooming and aspect ratio modifications have
been split apart. Create a separate ticket for this enhancement.

-- Daniel