[mythtv] Backend AutoDiscovery

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Mon Sep 17 09:53:09 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Fri Sep 14, 2007 at 04:51:41PM +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>> That'll be exactly why we are looking towards a small embedded DB.
>
> A cached copy of data is fine, but I don't like the idea of having to
> backup each frontend's settings from their own individual database
> stored on the (perhaps diskless) frontend itself.  Rebuilding or
> replacing a frontend would mean I'd have to backup these settings and
> restore them.  There are reasons not to go with local (primary) storage
> of settings.
>
> Are there any other reasons for going with a local settings DB other
> than being able to detach a frontend?

You are correct. It is essentially a (partial) cache of info that
is stored on the master database.

It's more for all the other stuff you would want with a detached
frontend. Program data for the recordings you have a local copy
of and that sort of thing.

It also makes sense to continue the current behaviour that allows
diskless frontends to work.

This will be the "Design Phase" (TM) :)

Stuart