[mythtv] mythfilldatabase/fillData() doesn't handle tv_grab_combiner well

Niklas Brunlid prefect47 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:17:49 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2007 08:30 AM, Niklas Brunlid wrote:

<snip>

> An easy solution would be to add a check to see if >0 channels have 0
> > programs, and force a refresh in that case.
>
> If I understand what you're saying, that's exactly what happens in SVN
> trunk.

I see that now. That would be the lines

  if (currentChanCount < (prevChanCount * 0.90))
  {
    download_needed = true;
  }

...which in my case wouldn't be triggered, since grabber 2 provides only two
channels, and grabber 1 provides 13 ( floor(15 * 0.90) == 13 ).

What is the reason for the 0.90? Bandwidth control for the data providers in
case they happen to occasionally fail to provide data for one or two
channels? Seems reasonable for the USA, where most people seem to have 100+
channels or something... ;)

>  But that would mean that grabber

> > 1 above would grab days 7-14 for no good reason, right?
>
> Yep.

Fair enough. No problem for me, my bandwidth is fixed-cost. :)

> >  And there is no way
> > for MythTV to know how much data the grabbers can deliver for a specific
> > channel?
>
> If you use the grabber directly, it should.  When using a script that
> includes tv_grab_combiner, your script should know the details and "do
> the right thing." :)

The script is tv_grab_combiner and is part of xmlTV, available from the
MythTV configuration in the frontend.

How do you ask the grabber for this information?

/ Niklas