[mythtv] [OT] gdb GUI / IDE ?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 01:00:34 UTC 2008

I know Off Topic subject belong on the users list, but this one is
related to development, so I hope Isaac will allow it...

At work we use SunStudio C++ and Sun's IDE for debugging.  Sun's
debugger does a okay job with C++ variables and such.

Under Linux, of course, GNU is the way to go.  However, I find gdb to
be very clunky.  Especially when trying to examine C++ class
variables, and even worse STL variables.  I assume I just don't know
what GUI/IDE to use with gdb.  I have tried to use gdb from within
emacs, and it helps, but not with *cleanly* printing class/stl
variables.

So, what do you all use for debugging?  Are there some magical
commands I should be putting in .gdbinit to help with print C++ class
and STL variables?  Is there some great GUI or IDE I need to know
about?

Thanks for any tips.

John
--