[mythtv] XvMc-OpenGL and OpenGL-OSD

Daniel and Mary-Beth Sherwood jackanddougal at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:42:31 UTC 2008

Axel

That does sound like an excellent idea.  Two thoughts on ways to do it would be...

1) to extend xvmcw to support these extensions.  I have found very little information on xvmcw but I believe it currently lives in XOrx so this would probably be a slow process.
2) use dlsym() to resolve the symbols at run time (and check the result to determine if features are available).  Obviously this would have to be applied to the whole of the XvMC library so would probably reinstate the util-xvmc.cpp file to put this stuff in.  We would need an additional configuration parameter somewhere to specify the XvMC library to load.

Option 2 makes more sense to me an is what was used in the original mpeg2play_accel project.

I think a similar approach could be taken in future with libGL as well as I am interested in using the GlXxxFenceNV() functions which allow 5% improved playback performance with mpeg2play_accel.

On another note, I was going to raise an ATRPMS bug report about the xvmc-opelgl support (but ATRPMS was playing up).  I had to patch the spec file to get it working as you have to ensure --disable-xvmcw --disable-xvmc-pro and --disable-xvmc-vld are all used before --enable-xvmc-opengl actually takes effect.

Cheers

Daniel