[mythtv] Fwd: patch to increase mythmusic scanning output verbosity?
adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:19:08 UTC 2008
On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM, David Backeberg <dbackeberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You may have also noticed that mythtv works with a backend MySQL database.
>> sadly what I've noticed is that either it doesn't scan in order, or it
>> randomly decides to skip certain files, which doesn't help me figure
>> out which file it may be held up on. I actually tried to do this, and
>> moved the file I thought it was working on out of the folder, sadly it
>> still had the hiccup, I did this a few times before deciding this was
>> not the way to go about trying to solve this.
> Now it's starting to become a myth-dev question. Details are helpful
> in pinning down whether something is a bug or expected behaviour.
> First, we're talking about mythmusic, which is a mythplugin. It will
> be relevant which version you have, how you built it, or if it came
> from a distro, etc. Next, up I should mention that the code version
> that I have, checked out from release-0-21-fixes say that:
> does a scan according to your settings for the plugin,
> if it sees files it already knows about,
> it ignores them unless the file timestamp has changed since the last
> version it saw,
> and doesn't bother any more processing on those files.
> If you want to see the full un-clever, un-sped-up behaviour,
> you need to empty the contents of your mythmusic plugin -associated
> tables from your database.
> Or you could... update the timestamps on all the files you want it to
> rescan, but that's not the way I'd do it.
> And now that we're turning this into a real myth-dev question, what is
> the behavior that you think might be a bug or a problem?
>> you may have noticed not everyone knows how to code, at all or as well
>> as you apparently do.
> You seem fluent in English, and the code comments, function names,
> mysql table names, etc. are all in English. Hopefully these pointers
> will help. If you want to see the same version of the code that I was
> just referencing, you'll need to do an SVN checkout of the source
> tree, or use the web-based graphical source viewers.
> Going ahead and pulling the source will also be essential if you
> really do move forward with patching your source, as patches are
> generally made against very recent versions of the source tree.
>> I believe you mean id3 tags.
> touche. I definitely mean id3.
> And the reason I bring it up, is sometimes people think they're having
> the scanner not scan some files, when in fact, they were scanned, are
> already in their database, and the id3 tags said something different
> than what they thought, so the music ends up in a different section of
> their playlist. Perhaps that's your problem?
> I don't think you've defined what it is that you think is going wrong
> with mythmusic. Please make it plain.
Well I spent the time to figure out which files it was getting hung up
on. Apparently there were some files with damages headers or something
that would play fine in all audio players, and for the most part you
could read the ID3 tags, but they were damaged enough where other
applications couldn't update the ID3 tags which is some sort of
verification of Myth's scanning issues. Some of the files I was able
to "save" by clearing the tags in The Godfather and re-writing them, a
few did not take to that and will have to be re-ripped.
Now, it still sucks that MythMusic just "freezes" when it gets to
these tracks instead of just skipping past them and moving on, perhaps
even making a log of which files are "bad". But at least I was able to
move those files out of the music directory and get the scan to
Oh and looked through that filescanner.cpp file and have no idea where
to even start, so that whole idea is not going to happen on this end.
Though I'd be happy to send a couple of the bad files to anyone
interested in seeing why Myth doesn't like them.
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -
More information about the mythtv-dev