[mythtv] how to allow Chinese TTF font in OSD?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Dec 17 13:39:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 13:27 +0000, David Watkins wrote:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Utf8_Text_in_OSD
>
> However, the changes "break" the mythtv database so I wouldn't
> recommend it, particularly if you're going to roll it out to 1.3bn
> users.

Actually, in the DB in trunk is in UTF-8 format. In the previous
releases MythTV stored UTF-8 characters in latin1 fields so you
had to convert manually to populate the fields, this was to work
around bugs in early mysql UTF-8 support.

To add new OSD fonts you just need to add them to the MythTV
font directory. Which is in /usr/local/share/mythtv/ by default.
There you will see three .ttf files, in the source these are
located in mythtv/themes. If you have a GPL or similarly licensed
fonts for the simplified Chinese captions we can add them to
the MythTV source.

-- Daniel