[mythtv] mythui

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 23:50:55 UTC 2008

Bert Haverkamp wrote:
> 2008/2/4, Steve Daniels <steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com>:
>> Go on, take the plunge and go trunk, I double dare you ;-)
> How often will my wife hate me for upgrading a trunk version of mythtv???

You're asking the right question.  Caution is advisable where domestic
tranquillity is at stake.

>>> How easy is it to put 0.20 and 0.21 side by side on one machine?

How much disk space do you have?  If you can set aside 50 or 100 Gig for a
separate partition, it's not hard.  Just create a good size empty partition,
install linux and Myth trunk on it (just put everything in the one partition
to keep it simple), give it a separate grub entry, and don't mount any of
your production partitions from it.  Of course, you can't watch any of your
already-recorded programs on your trunk install, or watch programs recorded
while trunk was running on your production install.  But keeping the two
worlds entirely separate is the safest thing.

The hardest part of this for me is to find a long enough stretch of time when
I'm home and awake and nothing is scheduled to be recorded that I can
actually *use* the testing partition.  Having a separate machine would
definitely be more flexible, if you've got spare hardware.

--
Peter Schachte              It is not the employer who pays wages--he only
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        handles the money. It is the product that pays