[mythtv] Mythwelcome DPMS/screensaver issue

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.com
Thu Feb 7 23:55:18 UTC 2008

Matt Doran wrote:
> Matthew Wire wrote:
>
>>> I don't use a screensaver as such.  I think it's DPMS (??) in X, the
>>> screen is blanked and the output to the screen is disabled.  So that it
>>> takes advantage of power saving.
>>>
>>> The screen blanks fine ... however pressing keys on the remote do not
>>> re-enable the screen.  Even hitting enter to go into the frontend
>>> doesn't enable the screen.  It will only enable once I hit the remote
>>> after the frontend is loaded.
>>>
>>> This did work up until the last month or so.
>>>

>> This has happened to me as well.  I have to open the frontend and scroll
>> up/down the menu for the screen to come back on.  Again, it was fine about
>> a month ago - haven't had time to do any investigation.
>>

> If one of the devs has a hint as to why this might have happened or
> where to look in the code .... I'd be happy to do some investigation.

I had a poke around the screensaver code, and can see how the
screensaver is enable and disabled.   But I'm not sure how the display
is re-enabled when the remote is pressed.  Is X supposed to handle
this?   If so, what would stop the remote from re-enabling the display
in mythwelcome ... when it works ok on mythfront end.

PS:  Nothing else has changed on the system ... I only upgraded from an
early December trunk to the current trunk.

Thanks,
Matt