[mythtv] Freesat (UK)

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 12:36:26 UTC 2008

John wrote:
> Chris Birkinshaw wrote:
>> I would recommend that anyone interesting in getting mythtv compatible
>> with Freesat have a look at the BBCs transponder 4 (the one that has
>> the HD service on).

> Probably old news, but I see that BBC 1 East (W) is currently displaying
> a red button, which leads to a screen similar to the BBC Freeview
> screen. It has Freesat Trial text service written on it.
>
> Seems to partially work on current svn, in so far as I get the butons,
> an can read the news, but seems to only partially respond to button
> presses. Fun to play with for somebody who knows what they are doing
> though :-)

Thanks for pointing that out.  It's on the 10847V transponder which is
the same as the HD service so this is obviously the one they're using
for testing.

The MHEG profile for Freesat apparently includes features that aren't
used on Freeview so aren't currently implemented in Myth.  From what
I've been able to see this includes the Slider class which is in the
1.06 profile for Freeview but not actually transmitted, presumably
because many of the set top boxes out there only support the 1.05
profile.  I'm trying to get information about the Freesat profile
although it's possible to work out some of it from the MHEG standard.

David