[mythtv] UK Freeview "Playback"

Bradley Kite bradley.kite at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 12:03:59 UTC 2008

On 05/01/2007, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv at grunau.be> wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 13:19, Chris Birkinshaw wrote:
> > Mythtv is almost compliant, aside from a few areas:
> >
> > 1. Series linking and split events (I have seen people are already
> > working on this)
> > 2. Recording back to back events should not register a conflict (this
> > was mentioned ages ago on this list - has it been looked at?)
>
> I'm working on this ATM.
>
> > 3. Recording start and stop needs to be controlled by the EITpf. i.e.
> > start recording when the event to be recorded becomes the EITpf
> > Present event, and stop when it disappears from the EITpf.
>
> I hope they use the running status of the event to indicate that. If
> that's the case I had a PoC patch for it before I deleted it
> accidentially. It's not hard and I'll redo it once I'm finished with my
> current tasks.
>
> > Going on
> > the billed time is not enough, as if a channel is running late the
> > EITpf update will be delayed by the channel playout automation
> > system. I have mentioned this loads of time on this list but never
> > got any answer to my question.
>
> I can't remember reading such questions in the last year but I mentioned
> my PoC patch here and on IRC. The last status I heard for UK was that
> using running status is planned but not live (last summer).
>
> Janne

Hi all

I know this thread is quite old, but now that multirec has been merged
I'd like to see what I can do to implement point 3 above (start/end
recording when EITpf flag is seen).

I've been poking around the code, and these are some of my notes - can
somebody who knows more about this than I do please comment on
correctness or propose a better way that I should be doing this:

Use startEarly and endLate for the schedular to pre-book a tuner (this
is what currently happens any way).
End-Late is to be changed to be the max over-run of a program. Even if the
program ends on-time, the tuner will still be (intially) booked out
for that long.

Introduce a "Will be recoreded if previous program does not over-run" flag.
Introduce a threshold value of 60 or 120 seconds so that if the
recording overruns up to <threshold> seconds then just delay the start
of the next recording by up-to that long.

Get the DVBRecorder to register an EITListener
(DVBStreamData::AddDVBEITListener() ) and only start writing packets
to disk when the program is seen in the EITpf field.

Keep watching the EIT tables while the recording is in progress. When
the program disappears from the EIT table then stop recording, and
re-run the schedular so that any program scheduled to record
afterwards that was set to
"might be recorded" can now be considered.

Recorder must implement a
DVBRecorder::HandleEIT(DVBEventInformationTable *eit) method to look
for Program Flags.

Would this be the right way to go about it? Any other thoughts/comments?

Many thanks.

--
Brad.