[mythtv] committing to .21-fixes and HEAD branches before release?

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.com
Sat Feb 16 10:46:16 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2008 4:13 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com
> <mailto:skd5aner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Feb 15, 2008 5:08 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com
>     <mailto:skd5aner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > What's the plan for making sure that .21-fixes and HEAD are
>     consistant
>     > before .21 is actually released?  I'm worried that some things are
>     > being put in on branch and not the other, such as:
>     >
>     > http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2008-February/038432.html
>     > http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2008-February/038393.html
>     >
>     > Why not wait and sync .21-fixes with head the day that .21 is
>     actually
>     > released rather than trying to commit to both?  I've seen things
>     go in
>     > fixes that haven't gone in head and vica versa.
>

> It has been decided there will be merges back from .21-fixes to trunk,
> probably nightly, until the .21-fixes release.  This will ensure that
> fixes are reapplied to trunk but also make it easier to maintain the
> fixes by commiting them in only one place.   This also allows for new
> features to be added to trunk during this time and not worry about
> them corrupting the fixes branch.  Once the release is done, fixes
> will be applied to trunk and then merged into -fixes as usual.

I'm not a myth dev, but I've used svn a lot ... and that is an unusual
way to do it.

Usually once a release branch is made, all fixes and changes are
committed to trunk.  Those changes that are considered necessary for the
release branch are then merged to the branch.   So new changes are
always committed to trunk, and merges are always from trunk to the branch.

It keeps things easy to manage and ensures that things don't get lost.

I guess you could do merges in both directions ... there is just more
chance that some fixes won't make it back to trunk.

Matt