[mythtv] Recordings Sports Feature Wish/Development

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 02:51:22 UTC 2008

As a follow-up to the technical part of this issue,
morality and legality of screen scraping aside, I have
found the myth recording extender to be somewhat
limited for my needs.  It only seems to support a
"single record" rule.  However most of my sports are
recorded from a power search (e.g. Title = "College
Basketball" and subtitle matching teams I care about).
 So MRE does not work for me, nor do I wish to tweak
the database in the same way because it breaks my rule
as a whole.

I came up with some modifications to scheduler.cpp
(mainly all SQL changes) and a new database table that
allow me to do just what I want. Insert a row into
that new table, defining a new start time and new end
time for any particular recording (keyed off chanid
and starttime, not a specific recording rule).  In my
thus far limited testing it has worked perfectly in
extending and truncating scheduled recordings without
messing up the rule that caused them to be scheduled
in the first place.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing that would
ever see the light of day in terms of the MythTV
project, although this approach would make it much
easier to implement the MRE as well as support CBS
"Eye-Lerts" and anything else where a one-time
adjustment to a rule, via an automated process, would
be useful.

What's the chance that this feature is important
enough that the devs might consider this sort of
feature, either using my approach or some other?