[mythtv] Some new features

Gordan Krešić gkresic at htpchouse.com
Thu Feb 21 20:28:21 UTC 2008

2008/2/21 Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
>  >  live with extra caution on Escape key :) Ideally, this option should
>  >  be configurable, because not all users will want that extra click to
>  >  exit live TV playback.
>
>  perhaps you just haven't turned it on?

Thanks for the info, I'll check it tonight.

>  I don't see how this is useful really. It would seem to make more
>  sense to make a plugin for MythTV to do whatever other stuff you want
>  to do than to make MythTV conform to your single-use application.

As I've tried to explain, not every function can be currently
implemented as Myth module and it usually has nothing to do with Myth
at all - Skype is just one example.

In my tutorial I gave several arguments why I prefer to have all HTPC
modules running at the same time as separate "components" instead of
starting them one at a time through some kind of menu system. Of
course, it would be absurd to claim that that setup suits most users,
but some minority probably will find it more comfortable. And only way
to accomplish that is to have all modules as separate executables
running at the same time.

>  Beyond the usefulness, it would also be difficult to do since the main
>  mythfrontend executable is what manages all the GUI stuff so to create
>  each plugin as its own independent application would require you to
>  basically build a separate mythfrontend for each plugin.

I was afraid of this :)

Anyway, it was just an idea - if it triggers more useful advances in
design, it had it purpose.

>  finally, this is not a -dev question, and feature requests don't
>  belong on the email lists. feature discussions are permissable on the
>  user list, and if your actually developing a feature and would like
>  help then this list can be used, but all feature requests should be
>  made on the wiki's wishlist page.

Sorry, my mistake.

   -gkresic.