[mythtv] Patch to autodetect 4:3 Zoom aspect ratio

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 04:20:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Mark Buechler <mark.buechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On the two sources I have, sourceAspect is 11 and 15, though the second I
> still haven't been able to get working. It's a DVB recording. I'll play with
> it a bit more tomorrow.
> >

> After playing a bit more with the threshold, it seems a value of 15 and my
> widescreen content is seen as 4x3 and a value of 16 it never seems to find
> the edges at all (neither 4x3 nor 16x9 content found).

Doh, you beat me to it :)

I added some extra logging and found that it was always exiting
because the sourceAspect was out of range. I did the calculation
(width*10 / height) and got 15.... 720*10 / 480 = 15

I updated the if() condition from 14 to 15 and then it magically
started working. It's pretty neat! :)

Although it's not perfect. It *seems* (haven't played enough, and it's
time for bed...) that the case where the channel logo partially covers
the black bar it fails to detect that it's letterboxed.

I'll still try to play with it some more, but so far I like it :)

It is kinda funny to see it jump back and forth in the middle of commercials =)

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent