[mythtv] Shouldn't MythTV disable the tuner between switching inputs?

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 05:49:29 UTC 2008

--- Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 15:39 -0800, Sam Logen wrote:
>
> > > Turning off the tuner would
> > > introduce a channel
> >
> > What kind of delay are we talking about?  When I
> used
> > the ivtv utility to disable the tuner, it took
> less
> > than a second.  Granted that you'd have to adapt
> the
> > code to be hardware independent.  Can we test the
> code
> > to see just what kind of delay we are talking
> about,
> > and if it is worth it or not?
>
> If it is needed we'll add it, but basically adding
> any
> delay to channel changing is undesirable as people
> already complain about channel changing taking to
> long.
> One second is an eternity if you are channel
> flipping.
> If this is only needed on input changes this is a
> bit
> better.
>
> -- Daniel

Yes, Dan, that's precisely what I'm talking about,
just make one extra step in input changing, disabling
the tuner, that I think hardly anyone would notice
anyway.  I'm totally against disabling the tuner for
every channel change, it'd be quite obvious that the
system would need the tuner again.

I would say though, that if the machine regularly
starts up on a non-tuner input - say for people using
the outputs on a set-top-box with an IR blaster, then
Mythtv shouldn't come across the code to disable the
tuner.  Mythtv should only come across the code when
the command to actually change the input is given, and
only when going from a tuner input to a non-tuner
input.

Sam

PS.  That begs the following question I have: Is the
tuner being activate necessary to the function of a
hardware capture card, such as the PVR-150, if it's
only using its a/v inputs?  What I mean is after the
tuner is disabled, and the inputs change to an a/v
input, does the tuner become re-activated?