[mythtv] discussion re Win32 backend tuner/s.

buzz davidbuzz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 07:20:03 UTC 2008

Nigel,
Yes, for a little while there, I thought "do I want to try to implement V4L2
on Windows?"... but the answer to that was a self-referential "Are you mad?"
(ie no).

I was just researching based on the main purpose of the backend being to get
video streams into essentially MPEG2 and onto disk from the tuner, which any
of the aforementioned API's can help do,  but of course the backend does
more than than (databases, scheduling, streaming etc etc) , which makes
keeping it arround rather important.   Under windows it would just be
non-V4L code, or it could be some sort of V4L->Windows compatibility shim,
but that scares me more.

Why do you mention "Firewire API"?  Is it relevant to the non-firewire TV
ATSC/DVB/etc tuner/s that I assume most people (like me) have?

As a comparison, I also thought that it might be possible (not easy, just
possible) to make a bastard child from the
*tvengine3*.team-mediaportal.com code that
is basically the tvengine3 with additions to get it talking the myth network
protocol/s and database requirements. (it already uses a backend/recorder
and frontend/player + database + multiple tv card + distributed architecture
much like mythtv)

Buzz.