[mythtv] discussion re Win32 backend tuner/s.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jan 29 14:51:44 UTC 2008

> Nigel,
> Yes, for a little while there, I thought "do I want to try to implement
> V4L2
> on Windows?"... but the answer to that was a self-referential "Are you
> mad?"
> (ie no).

[deletia]

> Why do you mention "Firewire API"?  Is it relevant to the non-firewire TV
> ATSC/DVB/etc tuner/s that I assume most people (like me) have?
>
> As a comparison, I also thought that it might be possible (not easy, just
> possible) to make a bastard child from the
> *tvengine3*.team-mediaportal.com code that
> is basically the tvengine3 with additions to get it talking the myth
> network

I think something like that would be much more useful if you just
turned the whole thing into what amounts as a network capture device
along the lines of hdhomerun. Tell it what to record and when and
then stream the stuff either directly to a real backend or store
it locally on that machine.

> protocol/s and database requirements. (it already uses a backend/recorder
> and frontend/player + database + multiple tv card + distributed
> architecture
> much like mythtv)
>
> Buzz.

[deletia]

Dunno if there would be any point though. It might be useful to
gain access to devices that are win32 only perhaps. As has been
said, it's pretty redundant at this point.