[mythtv] R5000-HD

Alan Nisota alannisota at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 05:55:29 UTC 2008

David George wrote:
> On 07/10/2008 09:24 AM, Info at quantum-sci.com wrote:
>
>> Hello, is this the right list to post on the R5000?
>>
>> I have been looking forward to Myth support of this interface for over a year, and now find that it is stable.  I now have the money to buy the equipment, but have some questions.
>>

> The -users list would be more appropriate as it sounds like you have a
> question regarding the use of the R5000.  But you aren't completely
> wrong by asking here because the R5000 support isn't included in myth
> yet.  You need to apply a patch and build from source.  I have an R5000
> modified Directv receiver and it works well for me.  What are your
> questions?

FYI I don't follow the -users list, but feel free to mail me off-list if
you have specific questions.
Which provider would you be looking at?  The code supports DirecTV (only
SD) Dish (HD and SD, but it needs a bit more work to make it more
stable), and some C-Band (which should work pretty well).  I have lots
of test streams that would let me get other boxes working reliably, but
between work and the fact that it is summer, I haven't had much drive to
finish off the code and fix the known bugs.

The R5000 solution is quite expensive.  While I haven't tried it myself,
I'd seriously consider an HD-PVR instead as it doesn't tie you to a
single provider/STB.  Your support is likely to be better as the number
of users will be significantly larger.