[mythtv] R5000-HD

Alan Nisota alannisota at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:24:02 UTC 2008

Info at quantum-sci.com wrote:
>> The R5000 solution is quite expensive.  While I haven't tried it myself,
>> I'd seriously consider an HD-PVR instead as it doesn't tie you to a
>> single provider/STB.  Your support is likely to be better as the number
>> of users will be significantly larger.
>>

> Nah.  Open-source for me, thank you.  Debian user for many years.

A clarification:
The HD-PVR that I was talking about is a card sold by Hauppague which
encodes component HD into h264 in hardware (much like the PVR250 but for
HD).  My understanding is that there are patches for Myth to use it
(it's pretty new), but don't know the details.

It should allow you to encode HD from any source supporting
component-out, and without the pain that is CoreAVC