[mythtv] Help debugging via Valgrind

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 14 21:51:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my backend for a while (fnnaaar
fnraaar!) and wondered if some devs could help me interpret this issue.

My backend ususally uses ~1.4 - 4% of my RAM which is fine. But on
occasion it jumps to well over 50% and keeps going. Sometimes it will
ultimately eat up the whole RAM and lock it up (OOM seems to not kick in
sufficiently for whatever reason).

It doesn't seem to be a leak as valgrind doesn't seem to suggest
anything major amiss but I'm not really an expert at using valgrind so
perhaps someone can help with the attached.

I do use UPnP and some errors seem to be reported about that... That
said my problems happened before I got my PS3 (although UPnP was always
active).

When running with valgrind, it suddenly jumps to 20% RAM usuage but I
presume this is normal? I stopped the process that produced the attached
log when it reached 50% RAM usage. (this is only a 512Meg machine but
all the same!)

Any thoughts?

Col

--