[mythtv] mythvideo DB enhancement

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Wed Jul 23 03:56:11 UTC 2008

> - the database convert was the hairiest part and I found it convenient
> to unwind by throwing errors. There don't seem to be many (any) try/
> catch blocks in the rest of myth. Is there some restriction I don't
> know about?

Yes (it was and probably still is). I believe the only try/catch in there is from me (mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp). I have uncommitted code in mtd that will add to that count.

> - I reassigned the contents of videometadata.filename to be a relative
> path but that's going to cause heartburn to mythweb and the uPnP code.
> Instead, I could leave that column as-is and make a new filepath
> column for the relative path. We could have .filename update with each
> scan and users would have to know to do one after they mess around
> with file placements within storage groups. It sounds like Chris is
> heading in that direction for recordings too.

The UPnP and MythWeb stuff can just be fixed. I didn't re-read the whole thread but I don't recall the SG use as being abnormal.

> Longer term I think the database-related code should be pushed into a
> common library so that uPnP & mythweb don't have to reinvent the
> wheel. The video plugin then becomes a UI-only component. I could take
> that on after this is done although at the speed I produce code...

I'd like something similar.

--
Anduin Withers