[mythtv] Adding inotify support to MythVideo

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Fri Jul 25 23:46:52 UTC 2008

> [inotify specifics]

I looked in to #645 several times, but also don't know about order/time guarantees.

> If something were to go into the mainline, what is the envisaged final
> solution?

A scan could be launched when the plugin loads, a refresh initiated when a view loads/some change notification occurs. Similar to how the filesystem + metadata view works now, only allowing for more than a single scan.

> Are the plugins initialised on startup (in which case a
> thread could be spun off to do this monitoring)?

Yes, the mythplugin_init() and mythplugin_destroy() entry points in a plugin.

> Or are you thinking of the mfd?

Not that far in the background.

> Or some solution similar to how MythMusic continues
> playing songs these days (I'm not aware of how this is implemented)?

A simple background scanner wouldn't need more than mythplugin_(init/destroy) offer.

--
Anduin Withers