[mythtv] problems changing channel in live-tv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 26 15:58:04 UTC 2008

(fixed quoted top-posting)

On 07/26/2008 09:47 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> myShade wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 13:03 +0100, Simon Kenyon wrote:
>>
>>> i have the following problem:
>>>
>>> if i change channel on a DVB-S card then that works
>>>
>>> however on a channel coming from a STB with a channel changing script;
>>> if a press up or down arrow (one of more times - in browse mode) then if
>>> i hit enter the chanel changes to one specific channel (101 - the first
>>> one for me) and then will not change from that

>>> for a long time i used svn #16772 aand did not have this problem
>>> now i have moved to svn #17923(pretty recent trunk) and have observed
>>> this problem
>> It's most likely the same problem I and more had.
>> A fellower at the mythtv-users list pointed me in the right way.
>> There is a ticket and a patch here ->
>> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-July/228461.html
> i have to say that the ticket seems to accurately describe my problem
>
> but why has this patch not been applied to head? it was added to trac
> over 3 months ago

Why is someone who's running trunk--and, therefore, reading the -dev and
-commits lists, where he must have seen that ticket go through--worried
about whether the official repo has a patch applied?  After all, you can
just apply those patches you need to your own working copy.

If your first thought is, "I don't have time to keep up with
everything," then you should realize that you're not the only one whose
time is limited.  The devs are doing what they can with the time they
have and will eventually get to that patch.  Until they do, it's up to
trunk users to keep up with what they need to make their /unstable/
systems work.

Remember, too, high-priority for you doesn't necessarily mean
high-priority for everyone.  Perhaps devs are more interested in first
fixing the basic pieces of functionality that are nonfunctional in /all/
systems rather than just some.  (Things like editable comboboxes, Don't
Record or other overrides, and /many/ more.)

If you want stable, don't run trunk.  Here, by "stable," I mean a system
that generally works without your having to keep up with all the patches
posted to Trac and without your having to test/apply those patches you
may need.

Just my opinion...

Anyway, the short answer is, "Time."  There are, after all, 591 open
tickets right now.

Mike