[mythtv] Toshiba HD-DVD player as myth frontend ?

Simon Allcorn simon.allcorn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:28:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I discovered this morning that the many Toshiba HD-DVD players seem to run
redhat linux (link1<http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/04/21/75795.aspx>and
link2 <http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/04/25/76295.aspx>).
Given the recent HD wars are now over, HD-DVD players are going for around
30-40 GBP ! (ebay hd-dvd player
link<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130201581291>
)

So, 30-40GBP for a myth frontend that can display 1080i ? that's going to be
hard to beat !

I'm not sure if we'll be able to use it like this - the player could be
hobbled <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization> but after some googling I
can find no more info on this other than the above links.

Does anyone have an idea if this is worth looking into ? Or has someone
already done it and it looks to be more trouble than it's worth ?

I'll be interested to hear peoples comments on this

Simon