[mythtv] Funky 720p playback

Brad Borgald skibum at nbriders.ca
Tue Mar 4 15:07:27 UTC 2008

Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> Keith Cremer wrote:

>>> I've got a 3.2 GHz P4 and it plays,  it's just funky - kind of like
>>> you
>>> describe above.
>>>
>>> Are you referring to the top_field_first and repeat_first_field flags?
>>>
>>> I checked my problem recordings and these flags are set within them.
>>>
>>> Recordings where they're unset play fine.
>>>
>>> If there's anything I can do to help fix / test this let me know.
>>>
>>> -Bill
>>>
>> Mine are playing back on a high end Core 2 with plenty of power to
>> spare.  I'll do some test captures using the HDHomeRun and VLC to see
>> if the stream is intact, and then look at the playback in Myth.
>>

> On a 2.8Ghz P4, it's pretty much unwatchable; the audio and video get
> separated by 3-5 seconds.  (But 720p from Fox is OK and works AFAICT).

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same issue.  My 720p content is
coming from my STB over firewire, not a HD HomeRun.  1080i mpeg2content
is fine, as is 720p/1080p H264, only 720p mpeg2 content seems to be the
issue.  I'm running a core 2 duo @ 2.9Ghz, so I think I've got all kinds
of cpu power.  I opened ticket #4859 with logs and a sample.  Mplayer
has no problem playing the file.

Brad