[mythtv] mythtv commit: r16515 - in trunk by bjm

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Mar 12 20:48:00 UTC 2008

Nigel Pearson wrote:
>> Modified:
>>
>>     trunk/myththemes/cpsvndir
>>     trunk/mythtv/themes/cpsvndir
>>
>> Log:
>>
>> Hadn't anyone tried this twice?
>
> Yes, but only with sudo make install. Sorry.
>

> Original cp (before I added -p) obeyed umask.
> Wish I could do something like chmod 777-`umask`

I see, but that would force setting the execute bit.

A few years ago another video capture app had to be installed
as root and the installer would remove group write for the
/usr/local/bin . I, um, wasn't pleased by this. I don't know
that a user app install script ought to be imposing policy.

I assume that, in a way, this was your concern too and you
would like to use the same perms as if -p wasn't used. The
assumption is that the checkouter of svn may be evil and
the installerer of mythtv is blessed. I'm not sure if that
is true and may be the other way around.

These are theme graphics for a user app on local home networks.
If someone has a stick upxxx is acutely concerned about their
local security, they would need to set the usr,grp,perm to meet
their requirements anyway.

I thought your intent was to assure that the files were
readable for everyone which is a good idea. Preserving the
timestamps is a good idea. I don't think we have to worry about
a case where the svn user is different than the 'make install'
user and one has group write in their umask and the other doesn't.
The concern should be; the install succeeds, the end user can
read the theme files, then maybe the end user should or shouldn't
be allowed to add third party themes to the install dir. We could
set the perms to 644 or 664 but I don't think we have to be
involved like this.

Personally, I think cp -p by itself is fine. "+r" is even better.

--  bjm