[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

hendrixski hendrixski at storsint.com
Fri Mar 14 17:06:30 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Bryan Haskins <ryuzaki90 at gmail.com
> <mailto:ryuzaki90 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     What do you think this will mean for us? Since, from what I
>     understand, we can now freely manipulate/search/view videos
>     however we please using the API....
>

> If it's what I looked at a short while back when fixing MythNews for
> the YouTube downloading, it wasn't much different than the existing
> RSS feeds that they provide in terms of capabilities.
Are we thinking about the same thing?  based on the recent slashdot
story, it sounded like this was something new, and that they deprecated
their old one.... oh, and that Tivo was already planning to implement it.

I gather it also does things like:

    * Upload videos and video responses to YouTube
    * Add/Edit user and video metadata (titles, descriptions, ratings,
      comments, favorites, contacts, etc)
    * Fetch localized standard feeds (most viewed, top rated, etc.) for
      18 international locales
    * Perform custom queries optimized for 18 international locales
    * Customize player UI and control video playback (pause, play, stop,
      etc.) through software

All which would be fantastic in a list of features for a MythYouTube
feature.
I mean, there was someone who took a shot at doing the downloading thing
before but they didn't use any upstream API.  I remember looking through
their code and they just downloaded a video from an address and then had
to switch it from Flash video to avi so that the sound-video timing
problems wouldn't get everything out of synch.  But then again their
code had gold nuggets of Qt design  like "QProcess(sudo wget)" so I
don't know if that's what we'd want to limit ourselves to.

--
 - Hendrixski

How to ask questions:
 * Do your homework: google it, search archives from lists and forums
 * Ask on the appropriate list or forum using a meaningful header
 * Be precise, impersonal, to the point, state your goal, and say "please" and "thank you"

How to answer questions:
 * Verify what they're asking about, turn bad questions into good ones
 * Give information, ask if it answers their question.  Rinse & Repeat
 * Not all manuals are created equal! link to your favorite one and say "Read This Fine Manual"