[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:05:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 10:42 -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > * On Fri Mar 14, 2008 at 09:50:39AM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>  Doesn't do
> can't consume
> interesting.

> recorder...

> > > Yeah, the backend can handle RTSP, and that is really the proper place
> > > to handle video recording anyway, streaming or not.
> >
> > I don't think I see this as 'recording', it's playback of a remote
> stream
> > just like a myth:// URL is handled by the RingBuffer class.  I think it
> would
> > be nice if someone were to mod the RingBuffer and player code so that
> they
> > could support playback of a streamed file via something like http or
> RTSP.
> >
> > I do see constant streams as different from individual files though.  If
> > it is a stream you can join at any time, then it should be handled by
> > the backend.  If it's playback of a file such as viewing a single video
> > off YouTube, then I would think that would be done best by the player.
>
> In that case it shouldn't be too difficult to use the backend's RTSP
> handling code in the frontend... The IPTV recorder is one of the more
> streamlined recorders in MythTV.. It hasn't had a lot of hacks added
> yet to make it work well with real world wacky exceptions to the
> standards :)

I was thinking about this very topic last night before heading off to bed.
The tuner in the backend, while usable, isn't really the place for on demand
streaming videos.  It would be nice, however, for whatever plugin/module to
be able to integrate with a Freebox tuner to "schedule" videos that you like
for saving/archiving.

Kevin