[mythtv] Implications of the new youtube API

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 19:17:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

> > > streamlined recorders in MythTV.. It hasn't had a lot of hacks added
> > > yet to make it work well with real world wacky exceptions to the
> > > standards :)
> >

> > I was thinking about this very topic last night before heading off to
> bed.
> > The tuner in the backend, while usable, isn't really the place for on
> demand
> > streaming videos.  It would be nice, however, for whatever plugin/module
>
>  Do you mean the existing IPTV tuner or the use of the backend in the
> process at all? If the later than I gotta ask Why not use the backend for
> ondemand content? LiveTV is ondemand.
>
> You could even treat the ondemand content like LiveTV and expire it first
> or allow the user to keep it or go back to view it before it expires.
>
> That way you can still do the whole pause/rewind etc on the ondemand
> stream without having to deal with caching or storing on the FE.

I meant using the existing IPTV tuner.  It seems plausable at first glance
but then you start to get into questions like do you use the same IPTV tuner
for multiple "sources" like YouTube or Google Video or just expand the
playlist.m3u for multiple channels.  If multirec doesn't work with IPTV then
multiple tuners is more functional (for multiple streaming) but then how do
you get a frontend to create tuners on the fly and how does that affect the
scheduler, etc.  It may all be simple answers, but it gets a little
complicated quickly compared to just RTSP streaming to the frontend as
needed and maybe passing the stream to an IPTV "archiver" tuner if you want
to save it.

Kevin