[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] MythUI Port

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Sun Mar 16 20:26:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:31:13AM -0600, Chad wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the coming days and weeks more of MythTV will be converted to use MythUI,
> >  the new UI library. This will break many themes and may temporarily break
> >  some screens or plugins.
> >
> >  As Janne advised for the QT4 changes, it is not recommended that you run trunk
> >  on production systems and that you switch to 0.21-fixes.
> >
> >  I'd also like to ask that you don't report broken themes, especially not those
> >  which aren't in mythtv/themes or myththemes.
> >  --
> >  Stuart Morgan
>
> This is all great news, I'm very happy to hear of these development
> efforts.  I'm curious though, will there be an announcement when
> people should again begin testing trunk?
>
> There are users, they indeed should stay stable (aka -fixes);
> There are power users, they should stay stable, but eyeball and maybe
> manually apply some patches from trunk from time to time;
> There are testers, they should have a sort of development system or a
> dual boot or a VM, or something similar so they can test and report
> bugs
> There are developers.  I won't pretend to know what they do :D
>
> So given the vague line between power users and testers, I'm just
> wondering when the testers should again begin "testing" trunk?

I have been thinking about something similar to this since Janne's
announcement.

I know that the next release will be ready when it is ready. But what do
the principle developers foresee the next cycle will be like? For
example, will there be one or several 0.21.x releases before 0.22 comes
out? Or will the MythUI and Qt4 changes be the only big changes and a
0.22 release will come at a quicker pace?

I ask because I am only really concerned with defects. I will continue
to analyze for defects in trunk. But would it make more sense to target
release-0.21-fixes for most defects? It would if an 0.22 release is not
planned for several months to a few years.

Any light that can be shed on this plan would be most appreciated on my
part.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/