[mythtv] Qt4 port: database character set change necessary

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 21:08:32 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 04:50 PM, Paul Bender wrote:
> Simon Kenyon wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 19:00 +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
>>> The second alternative is forking the qt4 mysql driver into our code
>>> base and modify it so it would work with our current database. I hope I
>>> don't have to explain why we would do it only if it's unavoidable.
>> i hope that that was not a serious suggestion
>> there are (IMHO) already way too many forked copies in myth (ffmpeg and
>> libdvdnav being two that come to mind)
>>
> I know it off topic, but I cannot help myself.
>
> FFmpeg does not make releases. As such, projects that use it are
> essentially forced to fork. After all, with no stable releases it is all
> but impossible for the different programs that depend on FFmpeg to use
> the same version.

Besides, people have enough trouble choosing the appropriate configure
options from the small list of options in mythtv's configure.  In
comparison, ffmpeg has a ton of configure options.  Imagine if we were
to allow any user to configure ffmpeg using any ffmpeg configure
settings they choose to use.  Talk about making testing difficult
(especially since users tend to have no problems switching
--enable/--disable switches to get a "lean, mean" installation, but then
are confused when things don't work).

And, if you then expand it to allow them to configure any SVN version of
ffmpeg using any configure options...  Besides, Janne has been doing a
great job keeping up the ffmpeg libs used by Myth.

Mike