[mythtv] Quality of Service on the HDHomerun

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Mar 26 15:08:31 UTC 2008

I worked up a quick patch this weekend to enable QoS delivery on the
HDHomerun. Before I post it, I had a few questions on whether I should
tweak a few aspects of it first.

In the mythtv-setup gui, I've added a checkbox to enable it in the
Capture Cards section. This setting needs to get stored in the
database. Is there an existing column it would make sense to wedge
this setting into? None of the existing columns seemed to be
appropriate to me, so I just created a new column called "qos". Would
it be preferable to be more specific in the naming? I figured just
leave it generic, in case it can be applied to any other future
network-attached tuners.

Since I need to add a new column to the database, how should that be
handled in a patch submission? Should I just make note of the
requirement when I post it, or is there some code I should write to
handle it? I'm guessing it's more complicated than that, because a
schema change would bump the DB version number, right?

Is there anyone that would like to give this a try? Obviously the
patch isn't going to do you much good if you don't have a router or
switch that supports 802.1p Quality of Service. In addition, you also
need to have your NIC setup to handle VLAN 0 (I can provide details on
how I did so under debian).

--
Ron