[mythtv] MythArchive extension - request for discussion

Shawn C. Powell shawncp at kcnet.com
Fri Mar 28 03:51:13 UTC 2008

Hi All,

This is in the nature of a hopefully gentle last call since my earlier post
provoked no response :).

I have found use, after creating a native archive, for the following features:

	1.  Temporarily back up the on-disk version of an archived file,
	replacing it with a link to the native archive version

	so that

	2. The archived version can be viewed/tested

	before

	3. Removing the temporary backup from
	on-disk storage, leaving the link to the
	removable media archived version in place.
	It can then be viewed when desired by mounting
	the archive.

	or

	4. Removing the link to removable media
	and restoring the backup in the event
	the archived version was found to be
	defective.

For my own use I have created a python script that accomplishes this.  My
question is would others find this useful, and if so:

	1.  Should the funtionality be better implemented,
	for public use, in the MythTV proper as opposed
	to a command line script?

	2. To what degree is a concurrency mechanism
	needed for these operations and does any
	such support already exist within MythTV?

What do you think? Any interest? Potential problems?

Thanks for your time.

-Shawn