[mythtv] Inquiry for user base data in order to try and develop and seup a new MythWeather viewer

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu May 8 13:45:57 UTC 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 13:33:34 Ian Barton wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 May 2008 08:04:13 Ian Barton wrote:
> >> I would be interested in this. I am in the UK, but Accuweather provides
> >> much more accurate forecasts than the current MythTV provider
> >> (weather.com?).
> >
> > BBC, who get their data from the Met Office. Not sure how you could get
> > more accurate than that?
>
> I don't know who Accuweather get their raw data from (possibly Met
> Office). However, they do their own forecasting. In my experience this
> is significantly more accurate and has much finer grained regional
> information than the BBC.

Accuweather might offer more than I could find, especially with the pay
services, but I could only find city/town level information in their free
reports.

The BBC match reports to postcodes at a finer granularity e.g. Cities in the
UK only merit a general report on Accuweather, but the BBC offer several
reports for the area depending on your postcode - enter a different postcode
within the same city and the current conditions/forecast change based on the
closest weather station.

If you want to create a new grabber for Accuweather then I'm not trying to
discourage you. If you want that grabber to be included in the official
distribution then it should be done with the permission, implicit if using an
RSS feed, of AccuWeather.
--
Stuart Morgan