[mythtv] Inquiry for user base data in order to try and develop and seup a new MythWeather viewer

Jonathan Martens jonathan at snetram.nl
Thu May 8 18:09:47 UTC 2008

Rob Smith wrote:
> Also, I doubt you'd be able to add in the 'branding' AccuWeather
> wants, as if anyone wants, they can just remove that branding, and
> nothing's stopping distro maintainers from doing that before it ever
> reaches the end user.

That is true, although it might well have been that some sort of message
call home or other feature was build in to report of new installs

Until now I do not know what their definition of branding are, perhaps
they only like a copyright notice when their data is being displayed.
I do not see why people who provide a mythtv and would want things like
that to be removed, I also fail to see why people would oblige to such a
copyright notice as they benefit from the work of AccuWeather at that
moment.

If AccuWeather requires branding in some way or th other I think they
will supply some sort of license to be provided with it, if (distro)
packagers decide to remove the branding they will most likely need to
remove the AccuWeather plug-in, I imagine, as they might be in offense.

Any way I do not think it is my fault if they do so, if I am to initiate
such a service and provide the grabber source, I think it is the
responsibility of the people who would be removing (part) of the
features under the license.

Kind regards,

Jonathan