[mythtv] Problems tuning ATSC w/ HDHR and 0.21? LaGv Partial Lock?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 30 14:34:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

Quoting Mark Paulus <mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com>:

[snip]
>> 2008-05-29 22:52:31.136 Could not find channel 56_1 in TVCT
>> 2008-05-29 22:52:31.137 VCT Terra: channels(3) tsid(0x553) seclength(143)
>> Channel #0 name(WHDH-HD) 7-1 mod(ATSC 8-VSB) cTSID(0x553)
>>  pnum(3) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0) hide_guide(1)
>> service_type(2) source_id(1)
>>  descriptors length(17) count(1)
>>   Service Location Descriptor (0xa1) length(15)
>>
>> Channel #1 name(WHDH-SD) 7-2 mod(ATSC 8-VSB) cTSID(0x553)
>>  pnum(4) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0) hide_guide(1)
>> service_type(2) source_id(2)
>>  descriptors length(17) count(1)
>>   Service Location Descriptor (0xa1) length(15)
>>
>> Channel #2 name(WHDH TV) 7-0 mod(Analog) cTSID(0x552)
>>  pnum(65535) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0) hide_guide(1)
>> service_type(1) source_id(3)
[snip]
> Check the wiki for "Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards":
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards.

Thanks for the advice, but this is an OTA issue, not a Cable/QAM
issue.  That page is pretty much talking about Cable+QAM and not
OTA+8vsb.   Also, this is an HDHR, not a DVB card, so there is no
/dev/dvb device for mplayer.  Is there some mplayer command to talk
to an HDHR?

> In this case, the section you want would be the part about "Scanning
> for Channels".  This will show you some tools that
> you can use outside of mythtv to investigate your channel selection.

Well, plugging the antenna into my TV it scans fine and sees the channel
just fine, too.   Also, the mythtv scanner DOES see the channel,
but the values put into the database are bogus.  This is very similar
to the issue discussed in:

  http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2005-October/040089.html

> You might also need to adjust the orientation of your antenna slightly,
> or get additional antennas to get a quicker/better lock.

That's not the problem.  It's not a question of quick lock.  The problem
is that myth is trying to tune the wrong frequency.

> You can also check out what stations you should be able to get,
> and where they are on the antennaweb site:
> http://antennaweb.org.  Hit the "Choose an antenna" button, put
> in your address, and see what's available for you.

Been there, done that.  I'm supposed to get this station.  I CAN
get it on my TV directly connected to the same antenna in the same
location in the same orientation.  It's just the HDHR + Myth that's
having trouble.

When I use the hdhr commandline app to scan I get the following
results from this station:

SCANNING: 635000000 (us-bcast:41)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=82 snq=37 seq=100)
PROGRAM: 3: 56.1 WLVI-DT (no data)

So, why is channel 56_1 pointing to channel 7_1 when it tries to tune?

-derek