[mythtv] Samsung LCD TVs run Linux. Implement a native mythtv front end within the TV ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:37:40 UTC 2008

I've been shopping for a new flat panel HDTV.   One of the sets on my
short list is the Samsung LN52A650.  Another is the LN52A750.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102201

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LN52A650A1FXZC

Anyway, these models appear to run Linux as the last chapter in the
users manual has the GPL printed out.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/download/supportDown.do?group=tv&type=tv&subtype=lcd&model_nm=LN52A650A1F&prd_ia_cd=02010100&disp_nm=LN52A650&mType=&dType=D&vType=R

Samsung has released several firmware updates for these TVs.  They are
installed via a USB thumbdrive.

These TVs have an Ethernet port.  They also have an optional USB Wifi
dongle that allows them to connect to a local wireless network.  Albeit
with limited functionality.

The LN52A750 is rumored to have a built in hard drive.

So... what are the chances that "we" could hack these sets to either
increase the network functionality (ie full DLNA functionality) or
implement a mythtv front end within them ?

Thanks