[mythtv] "ClassicComm" detector vs "Comm2" detector

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 04:02:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Lucas Meijer <lucas at mach8.nl> wrote:
> It's pretty hard for mythtv to provide a comm detector that works very
> well for everybody.  It's
> very much a black magic, and by no means scientific.  So I'd give you
> very good odds that given some
> time, you can tweak the settings for the classic comm detector to give
> much better results for the channel's
> you are interested in.   (far from all settings are exposed in the gui).

Advances like commercials in 720p, 5.1, and full aspect, have made
detection harder. Worse yet is a recording where the program is in
14:9 or 4:3, and the commercials are the only 16:9 content in the
whole stream... :(

Overall, for me, it's quite wrong on about 1 recording a week, maybe
2.. That's not bad out of easily 20+ hours a week of recorded TV.