[mythtv] organize development

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Sat Nov 8 21:56:28 UTC 2008

> hello,
> i need some help to organize my development.
> currently i'm using my own svn repository, where trunk will be merged
> regular with original mythtv-trunk (simple script which saves revision
> in a svn-property).
> For all my patches i'm using a seperate branch (and one with all of
> them, this one i'm using by my self) inside my own repo. This way i can
> easily generate patches.
> Merging mythtv at trunk to my trunk and from this to each branch is much
> work.
> Are there better ways to organize this?

Yes.

> Whats your preferred way?

Use git-svn to establish your tree and then use StGit to manage your
patches w/in that tree. For example:
$ mkdir -p mythtv/trunk
$ cd mythtv/trunk
$ git svn init http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/
$ git svn fetch -r 17509
$ git svn rebase
$ stg init
$ stg new super-feature-deluxe
$ stg refresh
$ stg pop -a && git svn rebase && stg push -a

At least this is how I have managed my patches for the last 10 months.
Finding it
much smoother then using quilt or svn directly.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/